Friends of CCG Edition 6
Skills shortages in the aged care industry could be addressed by education in industry, according to local facilities.
CEO of Leongatha’s Woorayl Lodge, Barry Westhorpe, says that the current lack of healthcare workers is a challenge that can be solved by connecting caring young people with the opportunity to learn on the job.
“I was really unsure about what I wanted to do for work and my careers counsellor suggested I try education support. I felt at home right away in the classroom and had an absolute blast working with the kids. To my surprise, it didn’t feel like work at all. The idea of helping in the classroom as a career really appealed to me and I decided to pursue that after school.”
Cade secured a traineeship at the school that inspired his career path, Morwell Central. Throughout the traineeship, Cade was employed to work at the school, with his trainer regularly coming on-site for lessons.
New opportunities to work with us
Our organisation is growing and we are looking for passionate professionals to join us in a range of brand new roles.
If you are an innovative problem solver, an expert in compliance, or an administration aficionado, we want to hear from you!
What do we have to offer? A job that is truly meaningful. An organisation that is diverse and inclusive. A new challenge that comes with a great team, attractive salary packaging options and even a stunning country view.
CCG could be the opportunity you have been looking for.
Handy hints with horticulturalist Tony Bundock
With Autumn upon us, now is a great time to get out in the garden before the cool weather settles in. So, what tasks should top your to-do list?
- Improve your veggie patch with compost to enrich your soil
- Mulch your flower beds to retain moisture and suppress weed growth
- Plant new trees and shrubs to avoid the heat stress of summer and support root growth ahead of spring
- Prune established trees and shrubs to help shape new growth and keep your garden looking neat
- Collect fallen leaves for composting
- Secure seeds and seedlings for planting. We love to put in garlic, rosemary, strawberries and the winter vegetables like kale, beetroot, broccoli, carrot, cauliflower and spinach
Want to transform your green thumb into a new career? Check out our Horticulture courses
CCG will be closed on Friday 7 and Monday 10 April.
This edition of the Friends of CCG newsletter is made possible with the help of our buddies at Bupa, who provided financial support through the Bupa Foundation Community Grants Program.